Church of the Holy Cross

This is the oldest building in Haltwhistle and one of only a few early 13th century churches still functioning as a working church in England. It is open to visitors on Thursday and Saturday from 2.00 until 4.00 pm from Easter to 30th September.

The oldest part of the Church is the chancel erected in the 12th century. A fine triplet is noticeable here. The shafts and piers of the arcade are early English in style and have various features of interest including a 6th century old Water Stoup and a tomb of the crusader Thomas de Blenkinsopp who died in 1388.

Much of the Church was decorated by the Pre-Raphaelites including excellent stained glass windows by William Morris and Burne-Jones and the Chancel ceiling which was decorated by Burne-Jones. The Pre-Raphaelite artists were frequent visitors to our area, staying at Wallington with the Trevellyans and at Naworth Castle with the Howard and Roberts families. They have also left examples of their skills in the "new" church, St. Martin's in Brampton - windows and altar cloth - and in the main hall at Wallington.

From the churchyard there is a splendid view of Plenmeller Common and the North Pennines behind. It is thought that this may have been the site of a much more ancient religious place. St. Aidan who established the great Christian Priory of Lindisfarne on Holy Island, evangelized much of northern England, founding numerous churches and monasteries, and is believed to have preached here in the early 7th Century and a corrupted form of his name may be the origin of the modern day name of the terrace, Eden's Lawn.

Holy Cross meets for Holy Communion at 10:00am on Thursday and 8:00am on Sunday with a Sung Eucharist at 10:00am on Sunday.

Visit the Holy Cross church website »

All other enquires to Revd Neil Wilson, 01434 320215

Haltwhistle Methodist Church

The Primitive Methodist’s in Haltwhistle were known to have formed a Society in 1823 and the Wesleyans date from 1844.

The Methodist Church on the Main Street was built in 1882, replacing a previous chapel.

A fine Nelson organ was added in 1900 and the hall at the rear was built in the 1920’s.

In the 1970’s the gallery was removed and the church re-designed. At the same time the congregation of the other Methodist Church on Castle Hill joined with them. As did the members of the United Reformed Church when it closed in 2009.

Today Haltwhistle Methodist Church has a Sunday service at 10:30am with Sunday school.Coffee Mornings are held on Saturdays from 10:00am to 12:00pm.For more infromation, telephone Rev. Alex Dunstan: 07981 044555

St Wilfred's Catholic Church

In 1860 Father Francis Kirsopp was appointed to serve in the Western portion of Hexham parish at Haltwhistle and Haydon Bridge. In Haltwhistle rented premises were used for the school and church.

The Church on Wapping which was erect in 1884 and dedicated to the Holy Cross. The presbytery was built in 1902 and the parish became known as St Wilfrid’s.

In 1991 the congregation moved to share the premises of United Reformed Church on Westgate until 2009 when the United Reformed Church closed and St Wilfrid’s became the owners of the building.

St Wilfred's Catholic Church has a Sunday service at 11:00am. For more information, telephone Father Leo Pyle: 01434 684265

Church of the Holy Cross

Haltwhistle Methodist Church

St Wilfred's Catholic Church